Free Instant Online Valuation


Beech Properties tenants help and information.

Help and information for applying and reserving a property with us.

In this page we are trying to help with your application and explain to you the perspective tenant(s) what you need to know and be aware of as we progress your application.

It will help explain what happens when you apply for a property from Beech Properties and what you need to know and do before, when you move into, during your stay at your new home and when you are vacating at the end of your tenancy.

To apply and reserve a property with us you must have viewed the property first.

You must then fill in our application form in full and give as much if not all the information requested in the application form.

Our charges and fees

At Beech Property Management we pride ourselves on being open and transparent regarding our fee structure.

We do not charge you the Tenant however in order to apply for a property we are marketing you will be subject to a comprehensive referencing check. Only when this has been satisfied will your Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement be prepared. In addition to this a detailed inventory of the contents and condition of the property will be prepared /carried out ahead of you signing your contract and moving in to your new home. If you are unhappy with the content of the inventory provided please contact us in writing or via email within 48 hours of move-in to bring this to our attention, this is for own your protection.

We DO NOT charge for unsuccessful applications.

Deposit protection

Deposits are protected in My Deposit's; Deposit Protection Scheme, Tenants will receive a copy of their Tenancy Deposit Certificate.

You will need to pay the following before moving into your new home:

Rent 1 Month's Rent in advance
Deposit Equivalent to 5 Week's Rent.

We will continue to advertise and show the property to other prospective tenants until such time as we have approved an application so the sooner you get your application form and any other information to us the better your chance of a successful application.

Who is to occupy the property?

If you want a person to live at the property other than members of your immediate family and those named on the tenancy agreement, you must contact us to discuss this and we will require the landlord's written consent.

The tenancy agreement is non transferable, you may NOT transfer your tenancy agreement to another person.

Warnining in relation to Nuisance and Anti-social Behaviour..

The Tenant must not use the premises (including common parts) or allow others to use the premises in a way which causes a nuisance, or annoyance to the landlord, other tenants, or neighbours within the locality
(Anti-social behaviour includes minor problems with dogs, children, untidy gardens and lifestyle cases through to serious noise problems, violent and or criminal behaviour, domestic abuse, the supply and use of controlled drugs and intimidation, harassment or victimisation on the grounds of a person's race, sex (gender), sexual orientation, disability, age, religion or belief, pregnancy or maternity status, socio-economic status).

Furthermore the tenant must not cause or allow to be caused any damage to neighbouring, adjoining or adjacent property; or to the owners or occupiers of them, or any action which is in any way illegal, immoral or damaging to the Property.

This includes any nuisance caused by noise including loud music or other noise which can be heard outside the Property between 11pm and 7.30am, or which will cause annoyance or annoy anyone at any other time.

If you are eligible for Housing Benefit, you must provide us with proof of eligibility and entitlement amount before we can commence with your application.

You will need to show evidence immediately following move-in that you have applied to the Local Authority for Housing Benefit at that address.

You will need to provide us with a deposit as above, and you will need to pay any top up amount due prior to moving in.

Ultimately the Landlord makes the final decision based on the information you have provided to us (key parts of which we will pass on to the Landlord) together with the result of the background checks we have carried out on both you and the Guarantor (where applicable). That said our opinion will be taken into consideration by the Landlord.

With that in mind it is important that you give us as much of the information being asked for in the application form as possible.

At Beech Properties we are here to help you, if you are unsure of any aspect of the application form or the additional information we have asked you for please do not hesitate to contact one of our very experienced team who will try to help.

All the information you give us is in the strictest confidence and won't be shared with any other party except for some key information which we will pass on to the Landlord.

If you apply to us and your application is unsuccessful your application form and all accompanying information will be responsibly destroyed.

A tenancy is not deemed valid or active until such time as the tenancy agreement is signed by all the parties mentioned thereon, the Guarantor has signed the deed of guarantee and all Advance Rents and Deposits are paid as agreed with Beech Properties.

There is no obligation on Beech Properties to give a reason to any applicant or their Guarantor for declining an application.


All applicants have to be over the age of 18 years when applying for a property from Beech Properties. All applicants must agree to have background and credit checks carried out as seen fit by Beech Properties.

If you do not agree to these checks your application will not go ahead.

Our referencing is done by an independent professional referencing company and includes checks and verification of all personal credit, employment and previous address information for all applicants that is available and would normally be expected to be undertaken to confirm your ability to act as a responsible tenant capable of meeting their commitments as set out in the tenancy agreement.


In some cases a guarantor will be required.

The guarantor or a replacement or subsequent guarantor must be aware that they are expected to guarantee the tenancy for as long as it may continue even if it becomes Statutory Periodic (exceeds the initial contract period). The guarantor must also complete an application form and agrees to be referenced in the same way as the tenant. Once again should your application be declined because the guarantor does not satisfy the referencing requirements no explanation need be given by Beech Properties.

The Deposit

Prior to moving into a property, you will need to pay the security deposit which is usually the same as one calendar month's rent or more on certain properties depending on varying circumstance and the type and quality of the property. Our office will tell you the exact amount required which has to be paid prior to your move in date.

The tenancy deposit protection scheme

Your tenancy agreement will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), any deposit paid will be registered under the tenancy deposit protection regulations which came into force on 6th April 2007. You will be advised of how your deposit is protected in line with the tenancy deposit protection regulations.

Moving in

Appointments to move into the property will usually only take place during office hours.

You will need to pay all rent and deposit and any further monies related to your Tenancy that have been agreed prior to the day of moving into your new home. Your Landlord / Beech Properties reserves the right to increase the rent from that advertised if you mention in your application that you intend to keep a pet, if you are found to be keeping a pet which was not mentioned during the application process the landlord / Beech Properties reserves the right to increase your rent

We will confirm to you verbally and or by email the exact amount payable by you prior to making your move in appointment.

We DO accept credit and debit card payments for these monies (credit cards will incur a transaction charge of 2% of the amount being paid)

Personal cheques will not be accepted.

Please be advised under no circumstances will tenants be moved into a property unless and until all necessary Rent and Deposits payments have been received by Beech Properties in full.

All Tenants and Guarantors must be available and able to sign the necessary legal documentation before the commencement of the tenancy agreement.

The move in process will under normal circumstances take place at Beech Properties offices where you and if applicable your Guarantor will sign the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement and some other related documents. You will also sign the inventory of contents and you will be familiarised with various information related to the property. If there are any aspects of the inventory you are unhappy with when you arrive at the property you must notify them to Beech Properties in writing or by email within 48 hours of you moving in to the property.

In exceptional circumstances the move in can take place at the property in which case the tenants can check the inventory themselves and raise any queries on the inventory within 48 hours of commencement of the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. In all cases the Tenant will have to sign the inventory at the same time as signing the tenancy agreement.

Tenants are advised that although telephone points and TV aerial or cable points may be present, while every effort is made there is no guarantee they are in working order, it is the Tenants responsibility to make these active if they so wish.

One set of keys will be provided at move in, if you require extra keys this must be advised in advance, they will be cut at your expense and must be handed back to Beech Properties at the end of the tenancy.

The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST)

The AST will be drawn up for a period of time agreed between you and the Landlord, although the initial term will usually be 6 months.

As long as the tenancy has been conducted in a satisfactory manner and your Landlord is prepared to renew your tenancy agreement at the end of the initial fixed period you may be offered a renewed tenancy. If this happens then depending on the Landlord's instructions to us we will discuss this with you then and ask you to sign a new tenancy agreement and any other necessary documents. We will repeat this process every time a new tenancy agreement is offered to you.

Who is to occupy the property?

If you want a person to live at the property other than members of your immediate family and those named on the tenancy agreement, you must contact us to discuss this and we will require the landlord's written consent.

The tenancy agreement is non transferable, you may NOT transfer your tenancy agreement to another person.

When you can leave

The tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract, it is for a fixed period and you cannot give notice to vacate before the expiry date of that fixed period.

If you for any reason vacate the property before the fixed term ends, whether with or without your Landlord's consent, you will be legally liable for the rental payments up to the end of the initial fixed term.

You will also be liable for any out of pocket expenses incurred by Beech Properties or your Landlord as a result of the property needing to be re-let prematurely.

This amount will be notified to you at the time you vacate the property.

In addition you will be responsible for the Landlord's re-letting fee as charged by Beech Properties at that time.

Giving notice

You are required to give at least one full month's notice which must commence at least one day in advance of a payment day to leave the property once the tenancy has come to the end of the initial fixed term period or alternatively become Statutory Periodic, which means the end of tenancy date as stated in the tenancy agreement has passed however you have continued to pay your rent and remained living at the property

Checking out

When you are leaving at the end of the tenancy agreement, (or if you are served a notice requiring possession of the property during a Periodic tenancy), we will contact you to confirm your intended leaving date and time.

We will arrange to meet you at the property to carry out all necessary checks.

We will verify the condition of the property and read the meters.

You must be ready to leave the property.

You will be required to return all sets of keys at this meeting, if you do not then you will continue to be liable for the rent on a daily basis until all keys are returned and all your possession, personal effects and your furniture have been removed from the property which should have been done in advance of checking out.

If your property was professionally cleaned prior to your moving in a charge for professional cleaning may be required when you vacate.

Beech Properties expect you to return the property where you have lived back to us in at least as good a condition as it was in when you moved in.

Return of deposit

If your tenancy was an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and your deposit was registered with a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme (TDP) we will need to agree any deductions with you and then both you and the Landlord are required to sign a form confirming your mutual agreement to any such deductions. The net deposit after agreed deductions can then be paid back to you.


You are advised that the Landlord does NOT insure your contents or possessions.

You should have your own contents insurance for your personal possessions.

Your personal effects and possessions will not be covered by your Landlord's insurance if the property is burgled or there is a flood or fire etc.

You should seriously consider getting a tenant's contents insurance policy as it will also enable you to cover the Landlord's goods against accidental damage by you and will also provide you with public liability cover which is essential should a substantial claim ever be made against you personally.

Beech Properties nor your Landlord accept any liability for a tenant's failure to have their personal possessions fully insured, protection against accidental damage to the Landlord's goods, or a lack of Public Liability cover. It is in your own best interest to have a tenant contents insurance policy in place to protect yourself. It should include accidental damage to the Landlord's goods and also public liability insurance for you.

Unless you tell us otherwise we may arrange for an insurance company to contact you on a no obligation basis to advise and discuss this with you.

Utility, telephone, broadband, TV / media providers and local authority (council tax)

It is the tenant's responsibility to arrange for the transfer of all utility and council tax accounts related to the property into your name. If you have not already done so you must contact the utility providers and Local Authority immediately. Very often before you move in or very soon afterwards you will receive papers from them so you can sign up for supply from the provider which you must do.

You should not delay this process as it might cause unnecessary financial pressure for you in the future.

Rent payment

Your tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract which requires you to pay the rent in full and on time on or before the rent payment due date as quoted in your tenancy agreement. Failure to do this means that you will be in breach of the terms of your tenancy agreement and are in danger of losing your home. All reasonable costs incurred by Beech Properties in enforcing the terms of your tenancy agreement will be charged to you.

In the unlikely event you are late paying your rent a charge of 3% above the current Bank of England base Rate will be charged on all monies overdue by more than 14 days.

If you are experiencing any difficulties in relation to rent payments you should contact us immediately.

We will make every effort to help you if at all possible.

Maintenance and repairs

Should there be any problem with the property, or any of the fixtures or fittings within the property or any of the contents or appliances provided by the Landlord please contact us immediately during office hours.

If we fully manage the property where you live we will endeavor to have someone attend to and investigate the problem on the day it is reported to us provided we hear from you before 10:30 am otherwise it will be during the next working day.

If we do not fully manage the property on behalf of the Landlord we will report the problem to the Landlord immediately.

Your Landlord will then make arrangements for the problem to be investigated and remedied.

If you're Landlord has not contacted you or does not react in a timely fashion to your reporting a problem you must contact us again and we will take whatever action we deem necessary to remedy the problem you have reported.

We may need to send out an approved contractor who will investigate the problem on our behalf.

Please ask anyone who arrives at your property for identification if you are unsure of their identity.

Please do not hesitate to contact Beech Properties before you allow someone you are unsure of into the property where you live so that we can verify their identity.

In some circumstances where the works required are substantial, either in cost or job size it may be necessary to obtain more than one quote from our sub-contractors.

It may also be necessary to instruct a surveyor to assess the problem so that it can be effectively remedied as cost effectively and with the least possible disturbance to you.

You must not instruct a contractor yourself and then pass the invoice to us, it will not be paid by us or your landlord unless we have previously agreed to do this in writing.

If a contractor attends to remedy a problem that you have reported to us and it is found that the fault is due to lack of care or misuse by you or other occupants of the property whether visitors or otherwise whose actions you are also responsible for, you will be charged the cost of remedying the problem.

It is very much in your own best interests to be available for appointments made with contractors so repairs can be carried out as quickly as possible. If you fail to keep an appointment with a contractor you may be charged the costs of the contractor's unsuccessful visit. No repairs can be carried out unless you are present at the property or have confirmed that you are happy for the contractors to gain access to do the work in your absence with keys provided by us or the Landlord for that purpose.

Maintenance and repairs

The tenant is responsible for normal day to day household maintenance of the property just as if it were their own property.

Normal day to day maintenance issues arise as a result of living in a property whether you own or rent it.

Issues such as replacing light bulbs, cleaning windows, cutting lawns, maintaining hedges and borders, keeping guttering and drains clear of leaves and blockages, the removal of such pests as fleas, ants, wasps, etc. along with other minor tasks are deemed to be normal routine household management issues and therefore the tenants responsibility.

If there is a garden with your property you must keep it in good order throughout your tenancy. You must not uproot or damage any trees or shrubs and you must not remove any lawns that were in place at the start of your tenancy.

If you are unable at any time to look after the garden please contact us and we will make arrangements to help you.

If you have any doubts about any aspect of dealing with anything in the gardens do ask us for advice we will endeavor to help you.

If you share a common entrance to your property with other residents you are required to keep this area, and any other shared areas at the property clean, and free of rubbish and unwanted mail. It is particularly important that you keep shared entrances and exits clear of any obstructions & this may be your escape route in the event of an emergency.

Property visits

If we are fully managing the property, visits are usually carried out by our staff every three months or thereabouts, you will be notified in advance of the time and date of the proposed visit in writing.

We would like you to be present when we visit. However this is not essential, and we are sure you will understand that with a large number of properties to visit on a regular basis it is not always possible to schedule revised visit times and dates.

We will always do our best to assist if you wish to be present and look forward to receiving your comments in relation to the property and also your cooperation to help us complete our visits as quickly as possible and with the least amount of disturbance to you and your household.

Gas appliances

By law your Landlord must comply with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and subsequent associated legislation. Your Landlord must have all gas systems, appliances and flues checked at least once every 12 months by a GAS SAFE REGISTERED engineer.

These regulations do not apply to gas appliances owned by tenants for example a gas cooker but for your safety we recommend you have your personal gas appliances checked at least every 12 months. You will be given a copy of the gas safety record issued to us by the inspecting engineer.

It is in your own best interest and the best interests of the safety and welfare of you and your family and anyone else staying at the property for you to cooperate fully with contractors making appointments with you to carry out any gas safety inspection.

Decorations and alterations

Tenants are encouraged to treat the property like your own during the period of the tenancy, it is after all your home.

Your landlord wants you to enjoy your time at the property which will hopefully continue beyond the term of your initial contract , your Landlord will work with you via Beech Properties to enable this.

You should always be mindful that the property is owned by a Landlord whose consent must always be obtained prior to any redecoration or alterations being carried out.

Permission for redecoration will not be unreasonably withheld however yo may be asked to make a contribution towards reinstating the property to the same condition as it was in when you moved in if the Landlord feels your choice of decor takes away from the re-letting appeal of the property at the end of your tenancy.

Failure to comply with this condition may result in you being charged any costs incurred by the Landlord for returning the property to its original condition at the end of your tenancy after allowing for fair wear and tear.

Lost keys

If during your tenancy you lose your keys to the property, no matter what the circumstances, you are responsible for the replacement costs.

Firstly contact us as we should have a spare set of keys which we can have copied.

The cost of having any additional keys cut is your responsibility.

If a lock change is required as a result of you losing your keys you will be charged the cost of that lock change.

If you occupy a flat in a block which has a common entrance door key you may also be charged the cost of providing all tenants in the block with new keys and possibly any common entrance door keys.

You must return all sets of keys you hold for the property at the end of your tenancy or you will be charged for any duplicate keys or lock changes required if you do not do this.

If you need clarification of any of the above please do not hesitate to contact Beech Properties, we are here to help you.

Habitable Homes

If you live in a rented house or flat, then this guide will help you understand your rights under the Homes (fitness for Human Habitation) Act.

Has your property's value increased? Call 01517282585

© Beech Property Management Ltd | Privacy Policy